Fellowships for Individual Doctoral Training funded through the Landesgraduiertenförderung (LGF)
Important Notice – LGF Application
At the moment we face a technical problem, due to which it is not possible
to upload application documents and reports on the LGF-database.
Please send all documents instead via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All documents must be submitted at the latest by the application deadline (30 April, midnight).
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.
Call for Applications 2017:
The University of Heidelberg Graduate Academy will be awarding doctoral fellowships funded through the LGF-programme to doctoral candidates with above-average qualifications (depending on the allocation of funds by the Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts).
Applications for the extension of already running LGF-fellowships can be submitted on this page as well.
|01 March 2017:||Call for applications posted on the Graduate Academy website|
|30 April 2017:||Application deadline for new applications and extensions|
|01 August 2017:||Start of fellowship|
|Duration:||Up to two years with the option for an additional extension of one year|
|Anticipated Amount:||1,000 € per month basic fellowship
110 € per month material and travel expenses
250 € child care benefit for one child (if applicable)
350 € child care benefit for more than one child (if applicable)
Prerequisites for application:
- Successfully completed university degree (Masters level or equivalent)
- Admission as a doctoral candidate in the appropriate faculty at the University of Heidelberg
- Academic supervision by a professor or associate professor
- Outstanding qualifications and a scientific project that is expected to make a significant contribution to current research
- Employment during the receipt of the fellowship is possible, provided that it does not conflict with pension insurance regulations and that it is related to the dissertation topic.
- Employment income exceeding 7,380 Euro (net) per year will be deducted from your fellowship payments.
- Applications submitted after the deadline, as well as incomplete applications, will not be considered.
- If you wish to withdraw your application, please notify the University of Heidelberg Graduate Academy immediately.
- You are not eligible for a doctoral fellowship if you are currently receiving an equivalent fellowship for your doctoral thesis from public or private sources or if you have received such a fellowship in the past for longer than 12 months.
If you are applying for the first time, please follow these steps:
- Fill out and submit the online application form (https://adb.zuv.uni-heidelberg.de/sach/INFO_STIP$.startup?M2=10) with the following attachments (in a single PDF file):
1. Outline of your doctoral project (max. 5 pages) and a bibliography
2. Schedule for completion of the project (max. 1 page)
3. Curriculum vitae in table form
4. Qualifying university degree and certificates (copy, generally Diplom or Master; in German or English)
5. Certificate of admission as a doctoral candidate to your faculty (copy)
- Ask two university professors to each fill out and submit a report (https://imperia-dev.uni-heidelberg.de/md/gradakad/stipendien/102_gutachterformular_neubewerbung_e.pdf).
Application for the extension of an individual fellowship
To apply for an extension of your individual fellowship, please follow these steps:
- Fill out and submit the online application form (https://adb.zuv.uni-heidelberg.de/sach/INFO_STIP$.verlaengerung?M2=10) with the following attachments (in a single PDF file):
1. Interim report or presentation (max. 5 pages, please include presentation date) on the status of the dissertation
2. Schedule for completion of the thesis
- Ask your doctoral supervisor to fill out and submit an assessment of your interim report (https://imperia-dev.uni-heidelberg.de/md/gradakad/stipendien/107_gutachterfomular_zwischenbegutachtung_e.pdf).
How your application is handled:
Your application (with complete documents), as well as all reports must be submitted to the Graduate Academy by the application deadline. You will receive an email as soon as your application has been received, and another email for each report that is submitted on your behalf.
After the application deadline your application and the accompanying reports will be ranked by a faculty board. A university commission will then make a final decision.
Please find here the forms for recipients of Individual Doctoral Fellowships and for their supervisors.
» Download forms
You can find the contact person for LGFG fellowships at your faculty here.
» LGF representatives
Statutes are available in German only.
- Landesgraduiertenförderungsgesetz (LGFG)
- Satzung (Satzung zur Durchführung des Gesetzes zur Förderung des wissenschaftlichen und künstlerischen Nachwuchses an der Universität Heidelberg)
Your information and documents – unless submitted voluntarily – are necessary in order to decide on your application. Without this information, your application cannot be processed.
Upon request, you are entitled to receive complete information free of charge on the data stored about you by the University of Heidelberg, as described in §§ 21 and 22 of the Landesdatenschutzgesetz (Baden-Württemberg Data Protection Law). You also have the right to request correction of any incorrect data about you.
A page with the most frequently asked questions about LGF fellowships is available here:
» FAQ about LGF fellowships for individual doctoral training
For any questions please contact Ms Birgit Bell:
Phone: +49 (0) 6221 54 - 3762
1. OG, Zimmer 146
69117 Heidelberg, Germany