Grants for the Publication of Dissertations
Call for Applications within the Excellence Initiative
Application deadline for publication grants in 2018: October 6, 2017
The Heidelberg University Graduate Academy is pleased to announce funding support for the publication of high quality doctoral dissertations. Three or more publication grants of up to a maximum of 1500 € each can be awarded to applicants with above-average qualifications who completed their doctoral training at Heidelberg University within the 12 months before the application deadline and who received a final grade of summa cum laude, Mit Auszeichnung, or magna cum laude (only in special cases) on their dissertation.
This award can be granted to applicants:
- whose dissertations cannot be published electronically (the reason(s) must be clearly stated in the application)
- whose academic careers would be substantially advanced by the publication of their dissertations by a well-respected publishing house. (An explanatory statement from the doctoral supervisor must be submitted with the application.)
The selection committee reserves the right to reduce the amount of the grant if more than three equally qualified applications are received.
Before applying for a grant, please read through the FAQs.
Due to time constraints, questions dealt with in the FAQs will not be answered again by telephone or email.
Please submit the following application documents:
- A letter of intent, stating the reasons for your application as well as an explanation of why your dissertation is not suited for electronic publication
- When applicable, a statement from your doctoral supervisor explaining the importance of a publication with a well-respected publishing house for your academic career.
- A summary of your dissertation (max. 5 pages)
- A curriculum vitae in table form (max. 2 pages)
- A copy of the official certificate of your successful completion of the Rigorosum/Disputation including the final grade
- Price quotation from one publisher and an explanation of your choice of publisher.
Please submit your application to the Dean’s Office of the Faculty in which you were registered as a doctoral student. Applications must be submitted in paper and electronic form (a single PDF-file on CD).
Please note that the grant funds can be paid out only within the calendar year of the funding period. This means that successful applicants will be required to submit proof of the publication of their dissertation to the Graduate Academy at the latest by the end of October of that calendar year.
Please do not hesitate to contact our office if you have any questions that are not answered in the FAQs.
Service Point of the Graduate Academy
Seminarstr. 2, 1st Floor, Room 135
Phone: +49 6221 54-19763
Fax: +49 6221 54-3032
Mon through Thurs 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Mon and Wed 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.