LFG application – Completion grants of the Landesgraduiertenförderung (LGF)
The Heidelberg Graduate Academy is awarding completion grants funded through the LGF program (depending on the allocation of funds by the Ministry of Science, Research and Arts). The grants are open to doctoral candidates with above-average qualifications for the completion of their dissertation projects.
The application deadline in 2022 has expired. The next call for applications is expected to begin in March 2023.
General Information about the Application for LGF Completion Grants
|Start call for applications:||expected 01 March 2023|
|Application deadline:||expected 14 April 2023|
|Start of funding:||01 August 2023 at the earliest|
|End of funding:||31 December 2023 at the latest|
|Duration:||max. 5 months|
|Amount:||1.203 Euro/month including a travel and materials allowance of 103 Euro/month|
Prerequisites for application:
- Successfully completed university degree (Masters level or equivalent)
- Admission as a doctoral candidate at the appropriate faculty of Heidelberg University
- Academic supervision by a professor or associate professor
- Outstanding qualifications and a scientific project that is expected to make a significant contribution to current research
- Dissertation at an advanced stage so that submission to the faculty is expected directly after or max. 3 months after funding expires
- The completion grant can only be paid out between August and December of the current calendar year.
- The completion grants is awarded to support the completion of your dissertation. The grant cannot be paid out in the period between the submission of your dissertation and your thesis defense.
- Applications submitted after the deadline, as well as incomplete applications, will not be considered.
- If you wish to withdraw your application, please notify the University of Heidelberg Graduate Academy immediately.
- You are not eligible for a completion grant if you are simultaneously receiving an equivalent grant for your doctoral thesis from public or private sources.
- You are not eligible for a completion grant if you have already received funding for the completion of your doctoral thesis from other sources.
- It is not possible to receive a LGF completion grant if the following conditions apply to you:
- you were employed as a Mitarbeiter/in nach TV-L or a wissenschaftliche Hilfskraft at Heidelberg University (not including the University Hospital) in the three months before the start of the funding AND
- your employment consisted of a contract of more than 25% of a full-time position AND
- the work you did has a direct connection to your doctoral project ((this means that through the contract you earned income for doing the research that makes up your doctoral project).
If this describes your funding situation, please contact the Graduate Academy.
- It is possible to be employed while receiving the completion grant only if the working hours are not more than 25% of a full-time position. Additionally, the employment must be related to the subject area of your doctorate or to a possible field of work that you could pursue after obtaining your doctorate. However, there can be no overlap in terms of time, location or content between the work carried out within your employment and the activities that are funded through the completion grant.
- After you have combined your application documents into one single PDF, please check to make sure that the PDF can be opened and the contents can be viewed with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Please follow the steps below in order to submit your application:
- Fill out and submit the online application form with the following attachments (in a single PDF file):
- Report on your dissertation project (max. 5 pages) and a bibliography; please provide the following information:
- description of your doctoral project (including the current status of your project and the results you gained so far)
- reasons for the need of financial support
- work and time plan until completion of the project
- Curriculum vitae in table form
- Qualifying university degree and certificates (generally Diplom or Master; in German or English)
- Certificate of admission as a doctoral candidate to your faculty
- Ask your doctoral supervisor to fill out and submit a report by the application deadline.
How your application is handled:
Your application documents as well as the report to accompany your application must be submitted to the Graduate Academy by the application deadline. An automatic email will be sent to you as soon as your application has been received; you will also receive an automatic message as soon as your supervisor has submitted her/his report on your behalf to the Graduate Academy. Please also check your spam folder.
After the application deadline your application and the accompanying report will be ranked by a faculty board. The university committee of the LGF program will make a final decision on the funding afterwards.
Your information and documents – unless submitted voluntarily – are necessary in order to decide on your application. Without this information, your application cannot be processed.
Please see the Data Protection Declaration of Heidelberg University for further information.
A page with the most frequently asked questions about LGF completion grants is available here:
► FAQ about completion grants of the LGF program