LFG application – Completion grants of the Landesgraduiertenförderung (LGF)
The Heidelberg Graduate Academy will be awarding completion grants funded through the LGF-programme (depending on the allocation of funds by the Ministry of Science, Research and Arts). The grants are open to doctoral candidates with above-average qualifications for the completion of their dissertation projects.
The application deadline in 2020 has expired. The next call for applications is expected to begin in March 2021.
Applicants for LGF completion grants in the application round 2020 will be notified in writing about the awards decisions at the beginning of July 2020.
General Information for the Application for LGF Completion Grants
|Call for applications:||01 March 2021|
|Application deadline:||30 April 2021|
|Start of fellowship:||01 August 2021 at the earliest|
|End of fellowship||31 December 2021 at the latest|
|Duration:||max. 5 months|
|Amount:||1.203 Euro/month including a travel and materials allowance of 103 Euro/month|
Prerequisites for application:
- Successfully completed university degree (Masters level or equivalent)
- Admission as a doctoral candidate at the appropriate faculty of Heidelberg University
- Academic supervision by a professor or associate professor
- Outstanding qualifications and a scientific project that is expected to make a significant contribution to current research
- Dissertation at an advanced stage so that submission to the faculty is expected directly after or max. 3 months after funding expires
- The completion grant can only be paid out between August and December of the current calender year.
- Applications submitted after the deadline, as well as incomplete applications, will not be considered.
- If you wish to withdraw your application, please notify the University of Heidelberg Graduate Academy immediately.
- You are not eligible for a completion grant if you are simultaneously receiving an equivalent grant for your doctoral thesis from public or private sources.
- You are not eligible for a completion grant if you have already received funding for the completion of your doctoral thesis from other sources.
Please follow the steps below in order to submit your application:
- Fill out and submit the online application form with the following attachments (in a single PDF file):
- Report on your dissertation project (max. 5 pages) and a bibliography; please provide the following information:
- description of your doctoral project (including the current status of your project and the results you gained so far)
- reasons for the need of financial support
- work and time plan until completion of the project
- Curriculum vitae in table form
- Qualifying university degree and certificates (generally Diplom or Master; in German or English)
- Certificate of admission as a doctoral candidate to your faculty
- Ask your doctoral supervisor to fill out and submit a report by the application deadline.
How your application is handled:
Your application documents as well as the report to accomany your application must be submitted to the Graduate Academy by the application deadline. An automatic email will be sent to you as soon as your application has been received; you will also receive an automatic message as soon as your supervisor has submitted her/his report on your behalf to the Graduate Academy.
After the application deadline your application and the accompanying report will be ranked by a faculty board. A university committee will make a final decision on the funding afterwards.
Your information and documents – unless submitted voluntarily – are necessary in order to decide on your application. Without this information, your application cannot be processed.
Please see the Data Protection Declaration of Heidelberg University for further information.
A page with the most frequently asked questions about LGF fellowships is available here:
► FAQ about completion grants of the LGF programme