Travel grants for doctoral students and postdocs
Application deadlines for 2019:
January 20, 2019: for trips taking place between January 21, 2019 and September 30, 2019
April 14, 2019: for trips taking place between April 15, 2019 and September 30, 2019
**** In 2019 it is not possible for us to provide funding for travel that takes place after September 30, 2019. ****
Please take note of the application periods and apply at the earliest relevant deadline. The evaluation process generally takes about 8-10 weeks after the application deadline. If your trip takes place during this 8-10 week period, we will not be able to notify you of the results of your application before your trip begins.
Incomplete applications and applications submitted after the appropriate deadline will not be considered.
- The Heidelberg University Graduate Academy offers travel grants for doctoral students and postdocs at Heidelberg University for the participation in conferences, workshops and for short-term research trips in Germany and abroad.
- The reimbursement of travel and living expenses (excluding meals) as well as registration fees is possible.
- Funding up to a maximum of 1,500 € can be awarded.
IMPORTANT! Please read the guidelines for applying for a travel grant (FAQ) carefully before applying for a grant!
The FAQs provide important information that allows you to:
- determine if you are eligible to apply,
- plan the timing of your application,
- fill out the application form effectively and
- avoid the most common mistakes.
Travel grants – application procedure and forms
STEP 1: Fill out the online registration form:
Please note that the submission of the online registration form alone does not constitute an application.
Important! We are currently experiencing problems with the English language version of the online registration form. We would appreciate it if you would use the German language version of the form until we can solve the problem. After clicking on the above link to the form, do not click on the "English" button to change the page. Please remain on the German language page and fill out and submit that form. Thank you!
STEP 2: Submit your application documents by email to the Graduate Academy:
- Application form:
► Application form for doctoral students
► Application form for postdocs
- For doctoral students: a scanned copy of the letter of acceptance from your Faculty at Heidelberg University (“Annahme als Doktorand”) or a scanned copy of your registration information from LSF (“Stammdatenblatt”). A copy of your plastic student identification card is not sufficient. Doctoral candidates in the Medical Faculty must also submit a scanned copy of their university degree.
- For postdocs: a scanned copy of your current employment contract with Heidelberg University. (N.B. Postdocs are eligible to apply only within the first three years after completion of their doctoral degree.)
- For all applicants (for participation in a conference or workshop): a confirmation from the conference/workshop organizers that your abstract has been accepted for presentation. If you have not yet received a confirmation, please indicate on the application form when you expect it.
STEP 3: Ask your supervisor to submit the evaluation form
Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD) – German Academic Exchange Service: International Conferences and Lecture Trips
The funding program “International Conferences and Lecture Trips” supports participation in international academic events such as conferences, symposia or colloquia. The program is funded by the Department of Foreign Affairs.
Stifterverband Deutsche Wissenschaft
The Stifterverband is an umbrella organization made up of numerous German scholarly foundations. It maintains a funding database which can be searched (in German only) using various criteria, such as “Reisestipendien” (travel grants). Please be aware, however, that the foundations listed in the database may support only very specialized groups or disciplines.
► Stifterverband Deutsche Wissenschaft (in German only)
Kooperation International – international mobility and collaboration
Kooperation International is a directory for international cooperation in education and research and also functions as a communication platform for both German and international researchers looking for information and collaboration opportunities.
► Kooperation International website