Contact information

Graduate Academy Heidelberg University

Service Point

Im Neuenheimer Feld 370
Room 3
69120 Heidelberg

Telephone Icon 17x17 +49 (0) 6221 / 54 - 19765


Walk-in office hours

Monday: 10 am to 12 pm
Tuesday: 2 pm to 4 pm
Wednesday: 10 am to 12 pm
Thursday: 10 am to 12 pm and 2 pm to 4 pm
and by appointment

Outside of our office hours you can reach us by telephone or email.

Useful links

Insurance for International Doctoral Candidates

Health insurance

Health insurance covers the costs for preventative medical check-ups as well as for medical treatment in the case of illness or accidents. Depending on the policy, health insurance provides either full or partial coverage.

Everyone who lives in Germany or visits for an extended period is obligated by law to have health insurance coverage. For this reason, you will receive a visa and a residence permit and will be allowed to enroll at the University only if you can demonstrate that you have adequate health insurance.

In general there are two kinds of health insurance in Germany: health insurance provided by state-regulated providers and insurance provided by private health insurance companies.

In most cases, the kind of insurance that you have is determined by how you fund your stay in Germany. Therefore, you will most likely not be able to choose freely between having state-regulated or private insurance.  For this reason we have organized this chapter according to doctoral candidates who have an employment contract and those who have an alternative form of funding.



If you have health insurance in your home country, you should first determine whether and to what extent this insurance will cover you while you are in Germany.

Health insurance from other EU countries and from countries with which Germany has a social security agreement may be valid in Germany.


Doctoral candidates with an employment contract

Any doctoral candidate who has an employment contract, either with Heidelberg University or with an external employer, will automatically be insured with a state-regulated health insurance provider (gesetzliche Krankenkasse).

This is called obligatory insurance (Pflichtversicherung). You may choose your health insurance provider on your own; however, it is not possible to be insured with a private health insurance company. In the case of obligatory insurance, both the employer and the employee pay into the health insurance coverage and the payments are automatically deducted from your monthly salary.


Doctoral candidates without an employment contract (with a fellowship or private funding)

If you have a doctoral fellowship or are financing your doctoral studies privately, you might be able to choose between two health insurance options:

  • voluntary health insurance coverage with a state-regulated provider (“voluntary” means that you have the choice between a private health insurance company and a state-regulated provider, as opposed to the obligatory insurance described above. Thus you can voluntarily choose a state-regulated provider),
  • coverage with a private health insurance company.


Voluntary coverage with a state-regulated provider (Freiwillige Versicherung bei einer gesetzlichen Krankenkasse)

If you can demonstrate that you have had health insurance coverage in a state-regulated health insurance system in the past, you may be able to apply for coverage in Germany with a German state-regulated provider.

Generally, you will be able to obtain voluntary coverage with a state-regulated provider only if you were insured in the state-regulated system in Germany before beginning your doctoral studies. In most cases, international doctoral candidates who have come to Germany for the first time will not qualify for this kind of insurance.


Recognition of past health insurance coverage

If you have been insured in the past through a state-regulated health insurance system as opposed to having private health insurance coverage, you can inquire at the state-regulated provider of your choice in Germany as to whether they will recognize this coverage. If so, you can take out voluntary insurance coverage with this provider.


Private health insurance coverage

You must take out health insurance with a private company if you do not have an employment contract in Germany or have not been insured in the past in a state-regulated insurance system.

Private health insurance coverage and premiums depend on criteria such as your age, gender and the state of your health. The costs for private health insurance as well as the coverage provided vary greatly from company to company. Therefore, we recommend that you contact several companies and compare the conditions and the coverage offered. You can also ask if the companies offer any special rates for doctoral candidates.

Doctoral candidates who want to or have to take out insurance with a private health insurance company should pay particular attention to the benefits included in the policy when choosing their health insurance company. Because the services covered by the insurance can vary greatly from one private health insurance company to another and from one policy level to another, it is important to make sure that all basic and essential services are included in the chosen policy. This prevents unexpected costs from arising in case of illness. The following list contains an overview of the basic services provided through the public health system, which should also be covered by a private health insurance policy.

Services provided through the public health insurance system in Germany:

1) Services requiring a co-payment

  • Hospital stays, EUR 10 co-payment per day for max. 28 days
  • Medications, co-payment of EUR 5 -10 per prescription
  • Physiotherapy, speech and occupational therapy, with a deductible of 10% of the costs plus EUR 10 co-payment per prescription for insured persons over 18 years old.
  • medical aids that are not considered to be everyday objects or of minor importance, e.g. prostheses, wheelchairs or simple hearing aids, co-payment of 20% for aids such as orthopaedic insoles

2) Services with no co-payment

  • Vaccinations (regular vaccinations for infants, children and adolescents, e.g. MMR, booster vaccinations, e.g. tetanus and indicative vaccinations, e.g. rabies)
  • Regular dental treatments as well as regular preventive dental check-ups
  • Psychotherapy
  • Rehabilitation and health treatments at spas
  • Maternity and sick pay (70% of salary, up to 6 weeks)
  • Assumption of travel costs for the blind or visually impaired and for people with impaired mobility

3) Preventative Services

  • Pregnancy check-ups
  • Early detection of all types of cancer, at different intervals and for different age groups
  • Health check-ups every 3 years from the age of 35 for men and women
  • Protection while travelling abroad in another EU country

4) Additional Individual Services

  • Acupuncture for back and knee pain and alternative healing methods in general are being increasingly covered
  • No treatments by naturopaths; however, many insurance companies voluntarily cover the costs of some alternative treatment methods




Because your health insurance coverage will not begin until you have finalized your employment contract or your insurance contract, it is a good idea to have additional coverage such as travel health insurance to cover the time between your arrival in Germany and the start of your German health insurance. Please note, however, that travel health insurance does not provide adequate coverage for a longer stay in Germany.


Proof of health insurance coverage for enrollment at the University

In order to enroll at the University either with the status "in preparation for doctoral training" or as a visiting doctoral candidate, you will need to be registered in the electronic registration system for student health insurance existing between the public health insurance system and the university.This is also the case if you have private health insurance.  If you have already been admitted to your Faculty as a doctoral candidate and are enrolling for doctoral training, this does not apply to you. 


Depending on the kind of health insurance you have, the registration either confirms that you are covered by obligatory insurance from a state-regulated provider (Pflichtversicherung) or, if you have private insurance, it confirms that you are exempt from such obligatory public insurance. Your private insurance will qualify for this exemption only if the coverage it offers is comparable to public health insurance (see above) and only if it  fulfills the following conditions:

  • it does not include a limitation of coverage in the form of a cap on the reimbursement of benefits per claim
  • it does not exclude the treatment of pre-existing illnessessuch as HIV, multiple sclerosis, hemophilia, malignant tumors (cancer) including leukemia, chronic kidney disease etc.
  • it does not generally exclude treatments for alcohol, drug and other addictions or for detoxification and rehabilitation
  • it does cover medically-necessary, inpatient detoxification treatments in the amout of at least 70 percent of the general hospital benefits for a period of up to 6 weeks per insurance year.


Important! Health insurance grants for scholarship holders as of 1 September 2017

As of 1 September 2017 holders of a scholarship awarded by one of the 13 funding organizations (Begabtenförderungswerke) supported by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research Externer Inhalt are eligible for a grant to their private health insurance coverage if they are exempt from the obligatory insurance with a state-regulated provider.  

Further information about the amount of the grant and the application procedure is given by the funding organizations.


Third-party liability insurance

We strongly recommend that you take out third-party liability insurance during your stay in Germany. Liability insurance covers accidental or unintentional damage you might cause to another person or their property.

Further information:
► Bund der Versicherten – Haftungsrisiken(German)Externer Inhalt
► Haftpflicht-Merkblatt (German)Adobe
► Bund der Versicherten – Informationsbroschüren (German)Externer Inhalt
► Bund der Versicherten – information brochure "Excellent & Economical insurance cover"Adobe


Accident insurance

All members of the University are automatically covered by state-regulated accident insurance for accidents that occur in the workplace or on the way to or from the workplace. State-regulated accident insurance also covers occupational illness.

Only doctoral candidates who are enrolled at the University (§ 2, par. 1, nr. 8c SGBVII) and those who have an employment contract with the University (§2 par. 1 nr. 1 SGB VII) have full insurance coverage.

Doctoral candidates who are registered in their faculty but not enrolled at the University have limited accident insurance coverage. They are covered while working at the University. This includes activities that fall into the field of responsibility of the University such as participation in lectures and classes or working in the University library. They are, however, not covered on the way to or from the University or when taking part in University sports activities.

The Unfallkasse Baden-Württemberg is the accident insurance provider for Heidelberg University. Accident reports must be made through the student services organization, the Studierendenwerk.

Further information is available here:
► Unfallkasse Baden-Württemberg (UKBW) (German) Externer Inhalt
► Deutsche Gesetzliche Unfallversicherung (DGUV) (German)Externer Inhalt



The information on this page is meant to provide a first overview of the topic. The Graduate Academy has made every reasonable effort to ensure that the information on this website is correct at the time of publication. However, the contents are continuously subject to legal changes and revisions that may not be incorporated immediately on the webpage. Please contact the relevant institutions if you have specific questions because only they can provide legally binding information.


Web Administrator: Eric Herbst
Latest Revision: 2024-03-07
zum Seitenanfang/up