Welcome to the Graduate Academy
The Graduate Academy is the central coordinating body for all support services related to general advising, professional and academic development and financial assistance for doctoral candidates at Heidelberg University. On our website, you will find information about pursuing a doctoral degree at the University, about the courses offered by the Graduate Academy, about sources of funding for doctoral candidates as well as many other relevant topics.
The Graduate Academy is also the first point of contact for University professors and researchers who wish to create new training opportunities and programs for doctoral candidates.
Current News and Events
+++ Workshop "Academic writing in English for doctoral students" on December 12, 2018 +++
The next workshop on "Academic Writing in English for doctoral students" will take place on
December 12, 2018, 3–5 pm at the Mathematikon, Im Neuenheimer Feld 205, 69120 Heidelberg, 5th floor, room 12
Registration and contact:
+++ Places available +++ Workshops for doctoral students in January 2019!
Dear doctoral students,
Coming events cast their shadow before – we will be heading into the new year with a range of interesting courses! We have places available in the following courses:
Please do not forget to consult our course program for more information!
Course programme and registration:
Tel.: +49 6221 / 54 - 19769
New status group and enrollment rules for doctoral students
In order to create an own status group for doctoral students at universities in Baden-Württemberg and thereby give these students a greater voice in issues affecting them at their universities, the government of Baden-Württemberg recently amended the state law governing higher education. This has resulted in the following changes for doctoral students at Heidelberg University:
- All doctoral students who were admitted to their faculties on or after April 1, 2018 must enroll at the university.
- Doctoral students admitted to their faculties before April 1, 2018 are not obligated to enroll. These doctoral students can choose whether or not they wish to enroll.
- Enrolled doctoral students now make up an own status group as members of the university and as such have voting rights in certain university committees.
- International doctoral students who have a residence permit according to § 20 AufenthG (for the purpose of research) are now permitted to enroll at the university, regardless of the extent of their employment contracts.
- Doctoral students who have an employment contract of 50% or more of the regular working hours with the university or the university hospital can choose to be exempted from mandatory enrollment. In this case, for voting purposes, they belong only to the status group of academic employees. Doctoral students who wish to exempt themselves from enrollment should request this in writing (email) through the Doctoral Students’ Office.
- Doctoral students can now enroll at any time during the year although it is recommended that enrollment take place before the end of the re-registration period (July 15 for the summer semester and February 15 for the winter semester).
If you have any questions, please contact the Graduate Academy Service Point