Welcome to the Graduate Academy
The Graduate Academy is the central coordinating body for all support services related to general advising, professional and academic development and financial assistance for doctoral candidates at Heidelberg University. On our website, you will find information about pursuing a doctoral degree at the University, about the courses offered by the Graduate Academy, about sources of funding for doctoral candidates as well as many other relevant topics.
The Graduate Academy is also the first point of contact for University professors and researchers who wish to create new training opportunities and programmes for doctoral candidates.
Current News and Events
+++ Places available +++ Workshops for doctoral students in November 2018!
Dear doctoral students,
in November we have places available in the following courses:
Effective Visual Communication of Science (14./15. November, 9–17 Uhr) Registration
Wie finanziere ich die Promotion? (21. November, 16–18 Uhr) Anmeldung
Good Scientific Practice – Protecting Scientific Integrity (28. November, 9:30–17:30 Uhr; 29. November, 9:30–13:30 Uhr) Registration
Please see our course program for more information!
Primers for Predocs – Lectures on "Leadership" (in German)
In our lecture series "Primers for PreDocs" several speakers talk about strategies for a successful doctorate in short lectures. A short reception after the talks will give you the opportunity to discuss with the speakers.
Next event: "Leadership", November 27, 2018, 11 am–2 pm (all lectures in German)
► Primers for Predocs
+++ Workshop "Academic writing in English for doctoral students" on November 15, 2018 +++
The next workshop on "Academic Writing in English for doctoral students" will take place on
November 15, 2018, 3–5 pm at the Universitätsverwaltung, Seminarstr. 2, room 175.
Registration and contact:
+++ NEW +++ Seminar Program for Transferable Skills in the Winter Semester 2018/19!
The new course program for the Winter Semester 2018/19 has been published and is now open for registration!
► Course Program for Transferable Skills 2018/19
Course programme and registration:
Tel.: +49 6221 / 54 - 19769
New status group and enrollment rules for doctoral students
In order to create an own status group for doctoral students at universities in Baden-Württemberg and thereby give these students a greater voice in issues affecting them at their universities, the government of Baden-Württemberg recently amended the state law governing higher education. This has resulted in the following changes for doctoral students at Heidelberg University:
- All doctoral students who were admitted to their faculties on or after April 1, 2018 must enroll at the university.
- Doctoral students admitted to their faculties before April 1, 2018 are not obligated to enroll. These doctoral students can choose whether or not they wish to enroll.
- Enrolled doctoral students now make up an own status group as members of the university and as such have voting rights in certain university committees.
- International doctoral students who have a residence permit according to § 20 AufenthG (for the purpose of research) are now permitted to enroll at the university, regardless of the extent of their employment contracts.
- Doctoral students who have an employment contract of 50% or more of the regular working hours with the university or the university hospital can choose to be exempted from mandatory enrollment. In this case, for voting purposes, they belong only to the status group of academic employees. Doctoral students who wish to exempt themselves from enrollment should request this in writing (email) through the Doctoral Students’ Office.
- Doctoral students can now enroll at any time during the year although it is recommended that enrollment take place before the end of the re-registration period (July 15 for the summer semester and February 15 for the winter semester).
If you have any questions, please contact the Graduate Academy Service Point